We can learn from Kim Kardashian in what are the right steps to take when dealing with reputation management. In this case you needed more than Kris Kardashian to lean on for PR strategy. PR strategy in social media is a whole new ball game. Digital PR is cultivating, creating a live stream of appropriate statements as they occur. Interested parties, especially when it comes from celebrities need to be on stand by as the full impact of the incident reveals itself.
Kim Kardashian is great for this example since she has a thriving brand and many different steams of revenue. From partnered clothing line to personal appearances her brand can be affected by her choices in life. When exposing your whole life story, human mistakes, and in a celebrity environment can often affect their brand.
PR nightmare to PR opportunity in my opinion are phrases or philosophies you should not use when a brands reputation seems to be spiraling out of control. What people want is for the spokes person of the brand to be real. Dell and UPS are good examples of responding quickly to their controversy at the moment by dealing with an issue head on. The more you ignore the controversy the further the damage.
Here are 5 triage tips should help stop the “bleeding”.
1. Acknowledge the incident. Nothing else annoys on lookers than ignoring the obvious. The longer you ignore what went wrong the more fuel you will give to the “haters”.
2. Understand the incident and share why you are in full agreement with public opinion. Let’s face it; if there is a vast public opinion on the incident it probably is the right sentiment.
3. Share what action steps your company is going to do to prevent this happening again. Share your updated system or new policy. Unfortunately for personal branding your unable to effectively implement this step.
4. Share the positive. Go the “What we have learned from this” route. Only do this step if you’re sincere. You must be sincere in this step or this can back fire.
5. Finally and very important: Collaborate with your company or associates to make sure that all the previous steps are on point. Don’t go on this alone. The tone, perception and full understanding must be taken seriously. If the company or the brand does not understand the full impact or the continual bad reputation after math than the previous efforts are all for not. Don’t give an incident the brush off.
If you like this article sign up for our FREE newsletter!